Why is it worth introducing collagen into your daily regimen?
| 09 December 2021
Many nutrients are required for the normal functioning of the human body. Some of them can be produced in the body. The rest must come from external sources. We can name micro- and macroelements, the inclusion of which is mandatory for health, for a very long time. However, there is a list of essential substances that are extremely high. One of them is collagen.
The value of collagen for health
Collagen is a type of protein that is used to build connective tissue in the human body. Its main task is to create connections and strengthen all connective tissues, as well as internal organs. For this reason, a substance called collagen can be found in almost every cell of the human body.
As you age, the amount of collagen generated in the human body decreases. This leads to the formation of wrinkles, reduced joint mobility, and dysfunction of internal organs. Without the additional inclusion of this substance in the diet, it also accelerates the process of natural aging. In this regard, nutritionists and doctors recommend the use of appropriate supplements for all people over 35 years. According to them, even a short course of collagen supplements can significantly improve health.
Which type of collagen is most useful?
Like other types of protein compounds, collagen is made up of a large number of amino acids. The most significant of these are arginine, hydroxyproline, and glycine. In this case, the protein compound also contains many other components, the change in the sequence of the compound and the structure of which can affect the properties of the substance. For this reason, scientists today identify 28 types of collagen.
In order to strengthen health and preserve the natural beauty and youth, doctors recommend the use of collagen types 1, 2, and 3 in the diet.
Before using them, consider in detail the features of each of them:
- Type 1 – used in all cells of the human body. The main function is to preserve the elasticity of tissues, ensure water balance, and absorption of macro- and micronutrients. Useful for strengthening bones, connective tissues and maintaining the quality of the dermis;
- Type 2 – acts as a drug used in the treatment of diseases of joints and tendons associated with inflammatory processes;
- Type 3 – provides normalization of metabolic processes, thereby improving the appearance.
Thus, the first and third types are needed to restore or maintain the youth of the body and well-being, while the second type is needed to strengthen connective tissues and restore joint mobility.
Collagen supplements are generally made up of the following amino acids, which scientists divide into three categories:
- Essential amino acids. They must be obtained from food as they are not produced by the body. These amino acids include lysine, serine, threonine, phenylalanine, leucine, methionine, isoleucine, valine, histidine, and hydroxylysine.
- Conditionally essential amino acids. The body can usually produce this type of amino acids on its own, but under stress, exposure to harmful environmental factors, it is not able to produce a sufficient amount of these acids. Therefore, supplementation may be helpful in this situation. These include proline, glycine, glutamine (glutamic acid), tyrosine, and alanine.
- Replaceable amino acids. This type of amino acid is also important for the body, but the body is able to produce them on its own. Consumption of these amino acids in the diet is optional, but such consumption is harmless and helps to provide the body with the components necessary for collagen synthesis. These amino acids include hydroxyproline, aspartic acid, and arginine.
What are the benefits of drinking collagen?
Collagen powder is a great way to support your body in general and your skin in particular if you are unsure of your diet. Collagen supplements can be used if the amount of protein in the diet is low and the amount of nutrients is poor. If you want to have elastic muscles and skin – support the body with food supplements with collagen. They are especially useful if you are traveling, have stress, have intestinal problems, or are on a restrictive diet.
Basic rules of collagen use
- Rule №1
Collagen types 1 and 3 should be taken as a separate course from dietary supplements containing type 2. Simultaneous use of all types of compounds can lead to the formation of the wrong ratio of amino acids and peptides, which will not provide the desired effect.
- Rule №2
The duration of the collagen course is 3 months, after which you should take a break for the same period. This mode allows you to achieve the desired preventive effect and ensure the effective synthesis of collagen. At the same time, in the case of treatment of joint diseases and elimination of menopausal symptoms, the course is increased to 6 months, and the break is reduced to 2 months.
- Rule №3
Supplements should be taken half an hour before a meal. This will ensure the right amino acid balance. In the case of powder, dietary supplements should not be diluted with a hot drink and do not contain protein. The drink can be selected by personal choice (water or juices).
What else to look for when choosing collagen supplements?
When buying collagen, it is important to pay attention to the availability of auxiliary components. They can significantly increase the bioavailability of a protein compound and stimulate its natural production.
Among the most useful of them are:
- Vitamin C – without this vitamin, the production of collagen in the human body is impossible. This nutrient allows you to properly form bonds in a protein compound;
- Hyaluronic acid – is one of the main components of the cell matrix, the value of which is comparable to collagen itself. Therefore, its consumption successfully complements the effect of collagen use.
Acute vitamin C deficiency leads to a decrease in collagen production, and in some cases to complete cessation. This leads to a deterioration in the quality of connective tissues throughout the body and the development of dangerous diseases such as scurvy.