Facial Serums Are the Key to Successful Skin Care
| 22 October 2021
What are skincare serums and why is there so much buzz around them now? The serum is a cosmetic product in which active ingredients are present in high concentrations. That is, the active ingredients are the same as in creams, but their specific gravity is several times higher. The formula of the product is such that it is absorbed almost instantly and shows results faster than a cream. Sometimes – instantly.
The active ingredients make up to 70% of the serum, while in creams they are 10-12%, the rest is the base and structure-forming ingredients: emulsifiers, emollients (softeners), thickeners, film-formers.
Why are serums needed?
The serum stimulates the production of collagen in your skin and helps to maintain the required level of hydration. Due to their smaller molecules, serums have a lighter texture than creams and allow the penetration of nutrients into the deeper layers of the skin. Also, due to their composition, they act precisely and accurately and as quickly as possible to solve a variety of cosmetic problems – moisturize, whiten, restore the epidermal barrier, fight acne, smooth wrinkles, and tighten.
The spectrum of action of modern serums:
- improve the appearance of the skin;
- normalize the work of the sebaceous glands;
- moisturize the skin, eliminate dryness and flaking;
- whiten the derm;
- relieve inflammation and nourish the skin;
- have a rejuvenating effect;
- increase skin elasticity (lifting effect), smooth fine wrinkles;
- they are excellent antioxidants;
- protect the derma from external negative influences;
- strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
Of course, one serum cannot fight all problems at once, you need to choose a product based on the characteristics of your skin.
How to get the most out of the whey?
- Test the product. Always do sensitivity tests before using, especially if you bought an acid serum.
- Apply the correct amount. Many repeat what bloggers do and spray their face with the product, pressing the dropper to the skin. Why is it not good? First, it is unhygienic. Secondly, you are wasting the product, and also provoking derm irritation. Apply as little as a pea (literally a few drops).
- Apply the product after cleansing. Be sure to cleanse your skin before applying the serum.
- Focus on your skin type. If you have a dry derm, apply the serum to damp skin to seal in moisture. If the dermis is sensitive, first let the skin dry after washing, and only then apply the product. Otherwise, expect irritation.
- Avoid dyes and flavors in the composition. Serums contain active ingredients. Additional components prevent the absorption of the beauty product.
How to apply the face serum correctly?
Due to the high concentration of active substances, we do not need a large amount of serum for a skincare session – 1-2 drops on the derm of the face, neck, and décolleté. This small amount should be gently pounded into the skin with your fingers.
It is important to apply the product to cleansed skin, you can pre-wipe it with a toner. After applying the product, you can use the cream, but this is not necessary: some serums need to be used in conjunction with the cream, and some as a stand-alone product. In this case, the cream should create a protective layer that will prevent the serum from evaporating from the skin surface and will complement it.
Do not forget to let all cosmetics that you put on the skin be absorbed into the derm: take a break of 5-10 minutes between products.
How often can a face serum be used?
It all depends on the manufacturer of the product and the concentration of active substances in it. Almost everyone advises using the serum 1-2 times a day (morning and evening). The duration of the course varies from 1-2 weeks to 2-3 months. Be that as it may, between the use of the product, it is imperative to take a break of 1-2 months.
Main ingredients of serums:
- antioxidants – enzymes, polyphenols, minerals;
- vitamins C, E, group B, retinol;
- hydrofixers – hyaluronic acid, glycerin;
- acids AHA, BHA, which provide peeling;
- ceramides, which restore the water-lipid balance and the protective properties of the skin;
- peptides that stimulate the production of collagen and elastin.
And last, but not least, if you use an anti-aging serum, then you need to use it from 30-35 years old. If the product should fight other problems (dryness, blemishes, acne), then there are no age restrictions.